Logo

•  

Advertisement

Welcome to DarkSmurfSub.com

Sign In 

Create Account
Membership is closed for the time being, but we occasionally open it when there is increased interest from volunteer subbers to join, so check back when you are interested in subbing a new drama, if we are accepting new members to the community!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

my perception of korea...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 tristan

tristan

Village Visitor

• Members
  • 5 posts
    • Time Online: 14h 26m 42s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 01:25 PM
    • Star sign:Unknown

Posted 10 Apr 11 - 01:05 PM

actually 5 yrs back..i never had much expectations nor heard much of korea until i came across an asiansite streaming x-man variety show...at first i thought korean sounded so funny and rough at the same time..but after a while i started to picking up alot of words since the korean language 70% of the vocabulary is sino korean...it was easier for me to comprehend coz the pronounciation was really similar...so i started with intro beginners class at uni and eventually moved to seoul for 6 months to learn how to speak korean..which i finally did..the best way to learn a new language is basically to move to the country...

i loved being in korea...people were really curious about who you are and when u told them u werent korean by my broken n limited korean, they all were really impressed that u at least try coz the people there didnt speak english...or dared to speak it...they were somehow embarassed to speak english...one thing that impressed me most is the korean warm approach..all though they didnt know you but if u were respectful to them and act accordingly to the korean custom,they will embrace you with open arms...i was brought up in a strict asian culture so i already knew the asian courtesy, manners and consideration for people..alot of people from abroad lacks these understandings, mainyl westerners..so the korean people are used to it and somehow more reserved towards them than asians..

moving out there for 6 months was the best thing i did in my life..the food, the shopping, the friends i made, the clubbing& partying, the soju chib bar jumping, the noraebang singing were all awesome..the culture, the history and etc as well..the best part is that it was not expensive at all..

one thing that is pretty funny was they always asked if u were single..if you said yes, they would think it was strange and try to matchmake you with someone they know..it seems like almost everyone are couple over there...hahaha...

the cons were probably the hierarchy/age thing..if you are a superior or older, you can more or less talk down on someone..i had no problem with it since i was always the oldest ones among my crowd but i saw often how people around were being treated by these kind of hierarchy underlined rules...and plus they were not tooo fond of chinese people as well..bcos too many immigrants from the mainland comes to korea for work n lacks alot of manners and courtesy..alot of prejudice in that area...some older generations were not too fond of japanese bcos of the 1japanese colonisation..

so thats my story..hoped u enjoyed reading..

//T
    • Relly, WaGGy, Sippie and 2 others like this

Advertisement

#2  WaGGy

WaGGy

DSS Administrative Founder

•  Founder
    • Others:
      CTS Editor
      CTS Elite
      CTS Translator (K)
      Donators

• PipPipPipPip
    • 362 posts
      • Time Online: 50d 8h 50m 56s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 08:25 PM
    • Referred By:Soompi
    • Star sign:Virgo

Posted 10 Apr 11 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for sharing, Tristan. :) I really enjoyed it.

I agree and understand your concerns about the hierarchy and stuff. I've been reading books about Korea and been learning their language. From those that I've read I figured that 'respect' is one thing they value the most and it shows since they have this levels of respect/honorific embedded in their every day language. There is a certain kind of order that they follow and age is one factor has to be taken into consideration. When I was a kid, merely by listening, I couldn't distinguish the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Language but now I find it odd when people couldn't tell the difference since it is pretty much obvious even the manner of speaking is different. I also agree that the best way to learn the language is to live in Korea for sometime.

About the 'being single' thing, makes me laugh. I noticed that they also often ask about your family background. Family is very important to them as well and it seems 'a must' to know the family history or something, their work, where they studied etc. Sometimes I feel like you have to be a 'somebody' to have a good 'match' LOL.
    • Richard 12 likes this

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

Posted Image

[Thanks Kristy for the siggy! :)]

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#3  milkyway

milkyway

CTS Team Administrator

•  Administrators
    • Others:
      CTS Supreme
      CTS Translator (C)
      CTS Translator (Other)
      Donators
      SCT Uploader

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • 566 posts
      • Time Online: 86d 4h 57m 2s
    • Referred By:Undisclosed

Posted 11 Apr 11 - 11:12 PM

This is an interesting read, Tristan. So, you went to Korea to study Korean?

I, too, someday plan to go to Korea and maybe live there for a while to really pick up the language instead of just studying it. I totally understand what you're saying about the strict Asian culture and like Japan, Koreans do have a hierarchy culture.

I,too, laughed at the "being single" thing. I have heard about family being important to them, but not this. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks to the Graphics Team Posted Image

Follow DSS on Facebook, tumblr, twitter, Google+, pinterest.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#4 darksmurf11

darksmurf11

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 1h 30m 55s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 12:25 PM

Posted 04 May 11 - 06:19 PM

hi tristan, we kinda have similar experience here . xman is not my first korean show i watch but it is the one that hooked me up .. currently staying in seoul for over 1 year already, i can tell you the first impression is always good. if you come here for language study or holidays, it's totally recommended. but not for working or studying.. kinda stressful :)
    (see the drama, or read some news from Korea).

best place for one is always his/her own country . home sweet home is not just a mere saying.. i don't meant to ruin any of your fantasy , just sharing my thought and experience ..

peace

#5 misznadal

misznadal

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 1 posts
      • Time Online: 3h 27m 26s

Posted 07 May 11 - 04:48 AM

thank you for sharing your experience there. planning to settled down there but still considering on it and now i think 70% of me is already there.thank you

#6 choppol

choppol

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 3h 10m 51s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 10:25 PM

Posted 07 May 11 - 07:21 AM

Tristan,

You are a lucky person to be able to move there for awhile even if it is a short period of time. I wish I can do that. I was there a couple of months ago for a holiday and I loved it. My wife and I was on a tour and I wish I had extra time there for ourself instead of going with the tour. The funny thing was that we were there and it was -17 degree Celerius and both of us did not feel much of the cool because we had soo much fun there.

#7 CS8

CS8

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 8 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 13h 26m 11s

Posted 07 May 11 - 10:24 AM

I've been to Seoul and found that city fascinating. But I never appreciated the culture until I started watching Korean dramas recently. I was so impressed by the quality and the various story lines that now I have a lot of respect for the Koreans. I have learnt so much about Koreans just from these dramas. I am a fan!

#8 melisa

melisa

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 17 posts
      • Time Online: 7d 8h 44m 15s

Posted 07 May 11 - 09:17 PM

thanks for sharing your experience here.south korea is a better place compared to north korea.even i cant snap any photos at the borderline.it is prohibited totally.moreover,some countries are a threat to them.i love watching the dramas from south korea.storyline is improving alot compared with many years ago.

#9 kingkongva

kingkongva

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 21 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 5h 26m 39s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 09:25 AM

Posted 08 May 11 - 11:04 AM

i have been to s korea b 4 the olympic during xmas time. great city, very big and modern. love the karoake bar, little coffee shop playing love songs from the US. by now, prob change quite a bit. would love to go back 1 day

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#10 nejina

nejina

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 6 posts
      • Time Online: 3h 21m 53s

Posted 08 May 11 - 03:19 PM

nadoo joahae...i've oso been there a few months back...
    lucky i met a very kind korean penpal...she is really helpful
    korean people is really helpful actually even they don't speak very well.. (same as me)

i was at one time i cannot find my exit and lucky an ahjussi came n help me to get to the destination..he is 80 y.o and yet have to go to work...totally inspire me to work hard to earn money...hehehe

i really wish i could go again one day... :panda_finger:

#11 jennieyuhja

jennieyuhja

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 37m 45s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 07:25 AM
    • LocationNYC

Posted 08 May 11 - 08:46 PM

T I am Korean American but have been going to Korea every summer for 2-3mos since I was born. The amazing thing about Korea is that the trends and architecture are constantly evolving. Everytime I go back there is always a new trend such as eating waffles with ice cream or club to try out. Thanks for your insight, now I want to go to Korea again!

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#12 cindymak84

cindymak84

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 9h 6m
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 07:25 AM

Posted 09 May 11 - 04:58 AM

i always wanted to go to korea. i've been very interested in its culture. would definitely like to check it out one day.

#13 Philco

Philco

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 9 posts
      • Time Online: 9h 38m 38s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 10:25 PM

Posted 10 May 11 - 07:55 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post. My wife and I have fallen in love with all things Korean after watching so many K Dramas. We will be traveling there at the end of this year to see some of the sites and get a feel for the place. I hope we don't offend anyone with our Western ways. We understand and appreciate the respect for others that Asian cultures embody. If only that existed in my country....I wish.

#14 fansubber26

fansubber26

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 2 posts
      • Time Online: 14h 15m 4s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 02:25 PM

Posted 11 May 11 - 02:01 PM

I read your post and totally agree with you on that topic "being respectful and gain respect from the Korean people". I would love to live in S. Korea for at least 6 months since its the best way(like you said) to learn the language. I've been learning Korean for quite a bit now but I am still lacking so much, so I hope of going there some day...

Does anyone know how Korean people deal with women who are older than 25? I don't mean they beat them up or something because they ARE 25+! hahaha...But in terms of, are they too old for marriage and stuff? And when do Korean men and women usually get married? 21-26? Or 24+?
    Thanks for your answers in advance!!!!

annyeong!

#15 LONEWOLF231

LONEWOLF231

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 8 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 6h 38m 44s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 06:25 AM

Posted 19 May 11 - 05:37 AM

Thats an awesome story Tristan thanks for sharing.
    I hope that one day i too am able to visit South Korea.
    Someday soon i hope.

#16 hanashi

hanashi

Village Visitor

• Donators

• 13 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 21h 56m 12s

Posted 25 May 11 - 09:41 PM

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing your interesting story. Although I am not Korean, I do respect the Korean culture: how they honor their elders and the importance of respect and family. However, I, too, am not fond of the underlined hierachy that is placed on society there as a whole. However, I hope to visit Korea one day and experience the many wonderful things that I have heard and read about.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#17 sanq

sanq

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 3 posts
      • Time Online: 3h 42m 56s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 09:25 PM

Posted 27 May 11 - 12:13 PM

Hi!
    thanks for sharing your experience^^
    I've been living in Seoul for 2.5years now. As an Asian, I don't have many problems in adapting the culture while some of my friends find Korean culture a lil bit difficult to understand esp. the hierarchy in society. For exp the gender equality & stuff (gentlemen 1st, than ladies ;) ).Anyway, it's all cultural differences ;)

However, sometimes the reality isn't as sweet as in drama. There's children with lack of manners and some people who being racist to foreigner. Also some other things that you will see (only) after you live in some place for quite long ;)

But then again, every countries have their own problem. For me, Seouth Korea still has many things to explore and yes, it charmed me with its cities, its people & its culture :)

#18 chrislauj

chrislauj

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 15h 9m 20s

Posted 29 May 11 - 07:48 AM

wow. thank you so much for sharing your experience. i've always wanted to go to korea and visit and learn about their culture for awhile now.
    i hope one day i can and have my own experience too.

#19 Nyl

Nyl

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 3 posts
      • Time Online: 8h 8m 2s
  • Local Time: Apr 25 17 04:25 AM

Posted 30 May 11 - 04:33 AM

I have been thinking about going to Korea and live there for a while but I don't know what I can do there to support myself, as I understand it can be quite expensive living there? I wonder if any of you can give me some advices on this?

#20 lucykins

lucykins

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 16h 18m 22s
    • LocationUSA
    • Referred By:Twitter
    • Star sign:Sagittarius

Posted 30 May 11 - 11:16 PM

Wow.... thank you so much for sharing your story!

I want to visit Korea after I'm officially done with school and I was wondering if you can give me some advice on when is the best time to go? Summer, spring, fall, winter? A lot of my friends say that around the end of the year is probably the best because of all of the awards show so most of the artists/celebrities will be in Korea (for the most part). But a few others told me that the summer is also good because there's a lot of open concerts and you can actually enjoy walking down the streets better.

Once again, thank you for sharing your awesome story!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!