KAT-TUN is a Japanese male idols group from Johnny & Associates. Founded in 2001. They have their own record label – J-One Records.
KAT-TUN was formed due to Johnny Kitagawa’s decision on Mar 16, 2001 to create a back dancing unit for Domoto Koichi, who at the time was hosting the musical show “Pop Jam” (NHK). As a result, KAT-TUN doesn't officially have a date of formation though many consider it to be April 7. It’s thought that their first appearance on TV was in “Pop Jam”, they had actually appeared once before that, in the SP of “Music Station”.
Initially, KAT-TUN was only meant to be a dancing unit to support Domoto Koichi. However, KAT-TUN gained a great deal of attention so the formation was kept and KAT-TUN remained a solid unit.
The group’s name is an acronym formed by the members’ surname initials. Additionally, it has the meaning of “katsu-un” (the luck to win) or “cartoon” (just like a comic book, after you’ve finished one page, you’d love to move on to another). The name is a little difficult to read, so a lot of people, including their co-stars, read it wrong as “katsuun” or “kattsun”.
The hyphen in their name refers to their “fans”.
- In Aug, their first concert – “Okyakusama wa Kamisama - Concert 55man nin Ai no request ni Kotaete” (Customers are god – A concert to fulfill the request of love from 550 thousand people) was held in Osaka Shouchikuza in 2 days, making them the first Junior group to hold their own concerts before officially debuting. In one day, they held 11 concerts, setting the record for the "most concerts held in a day" in Japan.
- In Aug, KAT-TUN participated in the musical "SUMMARY of Johnnys World" with NewS - another Johnny & Associates's group.
- In Aug, KAT-TUN participated in the musical "SUMMARY of Johnnys World" with NewS - another Johnny & Associates's group.
- In Jan, KAT-TUN celebrated their 100th concert during their KAT-TUN Live Kaizokuban tour. On May 3, KAT-TUN released their major concert DVD "Live Kaizokuban", which topped the Oricon yearly chart for the best-selling DVD. At the 21st Japan Gold Disc Awards, "Live Kaizokuban" placed on the Music Video Of The Year list.
- In Nov, KAT-TUN was appointed to be the supporting producer of the show “2005 World Grand Champions Cup”.
- Mar 17, “KAT-TUN SPECIAL TOKYO DOME CONCERT Debut “Real Face” was held in Tokyo Dome, making them the first artist in history to have their own concert in Tokyo Dome before debut.
- Mar 22, KAT-TUN debuted with a triple release, which consisted of the single “Real Face”, the album “Best of KAT-TUN” and the DVD “Real Face Film”. They were released on a newly created, KAT-TUN-exclusive label in J-Storm: “J-One Records”. These releases topped all 3 weekly Oricon charts. They are the second artist in history to do so (the first artist is Ayumi Hamasaki). Aside from that, they also peaked at #1 in radio requests and online downloading.
- KAT-TUN holds the records for the highest weekly single debut sales, as well as the record for highest weekly DVD debut sales. Their single Real Face topped the Oricon charts for 3 weeks, making them the first artist in the millennium to do so in Japan. It sold over one million copies in nine weeks, making "Real Face" the highest selling single of the year.
- Along with their debut, they performed to about 630,000 people in total during their first national tour 'Real Face'.
- Apr 3, “You&J” – a fanclub of KAT-TUN, Kanjani8 and NEWS – was founded.
- July 19, KAT-TUN released their second single “Signal”. This also reached #1 on the Oricon chart.
- Oct 12, member Akanishi Jin went on hiatus to study abroad in Los Angeles, leaving KAT-TUN as a 5 member group.
- Dec 7, KAT-TUN released their third single “Bokura no machi de” (#1 on the Oricon Chart).
- KAT-TUN's first three singles all managed to exceed 400,000 in sales during the first week. They are the first artist in the history of Japan to have all three singles from debut to exceed 500,000 in sales.
- Apr 4, KAT-TUN’s first regular variety show “Cartoon KAT-TUN” started airing.
- Apr 18, KAT-TUN released their second album “Cartoon KAT-TUN II You” (#1 in Oricon Chart).
- Apr 19, Akanishi Jin came back from Los Angeles. A press conference with all KAT-TUN members was held on Apr 20, officially marking his return to show biz. KAT-TUN continued on once again as a 6 member group.
- The following day, Akanishi appeared at KAT-TUN’s Sendai concert, with the intention of greeting the fans only, but he ended up joining KAT-TUN in 2 songs during the encore.
- Starting from the Osaka concert, Akanishi’s goods went on sale.
- June 6, KAT-TUN released their fourth single, “Yorokobi no Uta” (#1 on the Oricon Chart).
- Nov 21, KAT-TUN’s fifth single, “Keep the Faith”, was released. The single continued to peak at #1 on the Oricon single chart until Dec 3, with more than 351,000 copies sold in the first week.
- During 2007, KAT-TUN held the records for the two first highest week sales and put two singles in the top 10 for two years in a row. After eight years eleven months since the debut of KinKi Kids, KAT-TUN is the second artist to have all five consecutive singles to be chart-toppers, and all of them exceeded 300,000 in sales during their first week
- KAT-TUN's second DVD in 2007, was released simultaneously with their 5th single, and is their fifth consecutive release to top the musical DVD chart. It also has set the opening week record of the year. In addition, they took the yearly #1 position on the music DVD charts for the third time in a row.
- Their single "Real Face" received Single of the Year at the 21st Japan Gold Disc Awards. In addition to this, "Real Face", "SIGNAL", and "Bokura no Machi de" were included in the list of The Best 10 Singles for 2007. Their debut album, "Best of KAT-TUN", placed in the The Best 10 Albums of 2007 list, and their DVD, "Real Face Film", was also included in the The Best Music Videos of 2007 list.
- Dec 24~25, KAT-TUN hosted “The 33rd Nippon Broadcasting radio charity music-thon” (The members in charge were Akanishi Jin and Taguchi Junnosuke, hosts of another radio show at the same Nippon Broadcasting System).
- "Bokura no Machi de" and "Keep the Faith" won two of the Best 10 Singles for the 22nd Japan Gold Disc Awards. Their concert DVD, "Live of KAT-TUN 'Real Face'", had also won one of the three Best Music Videos awards.
- Feb 6, KAT-TUN released the sixth single, “LIPS” (#1 on Oricon).
- On March 22, it was announced that KAT-TUN will hold their third nationwide tour, to start in Hiroshima on Jun 21.
- On April 22, it was announced that KAT-TUN will release their third album, “KAT-TUN III Queen of Pirates” on June 4.
- On May 14, KAT-TUN released their 7th single, “Don't U Ever Stop” which topped the weekly Oricon chart. The release included 3 limited edition versions featuering the members' solos in pairs (KT, A-T, UN). With “LIPS” and "Don't U Ever Stop", KAT-TUN holds the records for the two highest first-week sales in 2008.
- On May 15, during the MC segment promoting “Don't U Ever Stop” on Music Station, Kamenashi announced that two days of Tokyo Dome performances were added to their tour, resulting in a total of four consecutive days in the Dome. This marks a historic event in the Dome's history, which has been established since 1988, as KAT-TUN is the first artist to hold four consecutive days at the stadium. Other Japanese artists, such as SMAP, X Japan and Ayumi Hamasaki have had three consecutive days at the Dome, and Rolling Stones and Michael Jackson have had multiple days at the Dome as well, but they were not consecutive.
- On December 3, KAT-TUN released “White X'mas”, their first Christmas single. The release consisted of a limited and regular edition, but both would only be sold during the holiday season. The single, with no drama tie-in and no B-side, still sold moderately well.
- On December 21, it was announced that KAT-TUN would release the single “ONE DROP” as a tie-in theme song to Kamenashi's new drama, "Kami no Shizuku", just two months after their “White X'mas” single. The release consists of three versions.
- On December 28, avex Taiwan announced on their website of an overseas (OS) press release of “KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2008 QUEEN OF PIRATES” on January 20, 2009, which would include traditional Chinese subtitles.
- Before taking part in Johnny's annual countdown concert on December 31, KAT-TUN performed an unbroadcasted special medley for 10 minutes, consisting of “Keep the faith”, “ONE DROP” and “Yorokobi no Uta”. This was their first time performing “ONE DROP” publicly.
- On January 1, it was announced that Kamenashi will continue starring in DREAMBOYS in September for 38 shows. In addition, KAT-TUN released “KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2008 QUEEN OF PIRATES” DVD, featuring the last of their four days in Tokyo Dome.
- On February 11, KAT-TUN released “One Drop” featuring the theme song of the “Kami no Shizuku” starring Kamenashi Kazuya.
- On March 11, KAT-TUN released their single “Rescue” featuring the theme song of “RESCUE” starring Nakamaru Yuichi.
- On April 29, KAT-TUN released their 4th album "Break the Records - by you & for you -, resulting in another #1 hit in the oricon charts.
- May 15 - 21, KAT-TUN helds a 7-Days Tokyo Dome concert, being a first for an artist to held a concert in Tokyo Dome for 7 consecutive days ever. Because of great request another performace was alied, resulting in 8 consecutive days. 3 shows followed in Kyocera Dome Osaka from May 29 - 31 and 2 final shows in Tokyo Dome on June 14 - 15 brought the peak of the concert tour. About 685,000 fans went to the 13 shows in total.
- July 22 - Aug 23、KAT-TUN held their Summer Tour "KAT-TUN SUMMER'09 Break the Records" including 28 shows in 6 locations.
- On December 16, KAT-TUN releases their 7th concert DVD "KAT-TUN LIVE Break the Records".
- On February 10, KAT-TUN releases their 11th single "Love yourself ~ kimi ga kirai na kimi ga suki ~ containing the theme song for the TV drama "Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge" starring Kamenashi Kazuya. The single becomes a #1 hit.
- May 2 - 28, KAT-TUN held their Summer Tour "KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2010" without member Akanishi Jin.
- On May 12, KAT-TUN releases their 2nd single without Akanishi Jin and their 12th single in total. "Going!" becomes their 12th consecutive #1 hit.
- On June 16, KAT-TUN releases their 5th album "NO MORE PAIИ" which gets #1 in the oricon charts.
- On July 16, it had been announced by president Kitagawa of Johnny's Jimusho after the Tokyo Dome concert that Akanishi Jin won't continue activities in KAT-TUN and go solo. A formal decision was postponed to the end of fall.
- On July 20, Akanishi Jin announces his decision in his last entry in "KAT-TUN's MANUAL".
- On August 31, the KAT-TUN pages on the official JE website get a revision. All activities and information related to Akanishi Jin are token down from the KAT-TUN page and instead Akanishi Jin gets his own section.
- On Dec 24, it was learned that KAT-TUN will release a new Single "Ultimate Wheels" on February 2, 2011.
- On January 6, KAT-TUN announced its plan of KAT-TUN Live Tour 2011 during May to October. The tour includes the 5 big dome tour at Sapporo Dome, Tokyo Dome, Nagoya Dome, Yahoo Dome in Fukuoka, and Kyocera Dome in Osaka and a special live event in Kawasaki on July 17-19.
- KAT-TUN will become the 4th Johnny group to be able to conquer the 5 big domes in Japan after SMAP, Kinki Kids and Arashi.
- After October, the group will start their Asia Tour that includes Thailand, Taiwan and Korea.
- "Ultimate Wheels" became their 14th straight No.1 single since their debut. The total number of copies sold in the first week was over 180,000 copies, reported by Oricon.
- Early March, KAT-TUN announced 3 new songs in 3 days including "Perfect" for Kamenashi's new AOKI CM, "White" for Sofina CM and "Diamond" as the theme song of NTV telecasts of Yomiuri GIANTS baseball games.
- It was announced on the 29th March that Johnny’s Company is going to start a new charity project called “Marching J“, a fundraising project for the Touhoku Earthquake victims. The Johnny’s Company is planning to have an event once each month and is planning to continue this once a month event for an year.
- On May 18, KAT-TUN's 15th single "WHITE" was released with "Perfect" as its coupling song. By this time, they also announced another 2 new songs, "Cosmic Child" for Wing CM and "Run For You" for New Suzuki Solio CM
2006: Best of KAT-TUN
2007: Cartoon KAT-TUN II You
2008: KAT-TUN III: Queen of Pirates
2009: Break the Records: By You & For You
2010: No More Pain
2006: "Real Face"
2006: "Bokura no Machi de"
2007: "Yorokobi no Uta"
2007: "Keep the Faith"
2008: "Don't U Ever Stop"
2008: "White X'mas"
2009: "One Drop"
2010: "Love Yourself (Kimi ga Kirai na Kimi ga Suki)"
2010: "Change Ur World"
2011: "Ultimate Wheels"
2003: Okyakusama wa Kamisama - Concert 55 Man Nin Ai no Request ni Kotaete!!
2005: KAT-TUN Live Kaizokuban
2006: Real Face Film
2006: Dream Boys
2007: Live of KAT-TUN "Real Face"
2007: Tour 2007 Cartoon KAT-TUN II You
2008: KAT-TUN Live Tour 2008 Queen Of Pirates
2009: KAT-TUN Live Break the Records
2010: KAT-TUN-No More Pain-World Tour 2010
Below are the songs that haven’t been recorded in any of KAT-TUN’s singles or albums.
Ai wa itsumo oikakeru mono (Lyrics: ERYKAH Music: Ishizuka Tomoki, Takahashi Tetsuya)
Oh-E-Oh! Taiyo no Salsa! (Lyrics: SPIN Music: Funayama Motoki)
Original blues (Lyrics: Aida Takeshi Music: Komori Taminoru)
Six Groove (Lyrics: ha-j Music: ha-j)
Ao tenshi no hekireki (Lyrics: Satomi Music: Inada Jun)
Change (Lyrics + Music: Domoto Koichi)
Tsuki no michi (Lyrics: TAKESHI Music: Tsutaya Koichi)
DESTINY (Lyrics: SPIN Music: Iida Takehiko)
DRIVE ME DRIVE ON (Lyrics: Nishino Kenji Music: Miyazaki Ayumi)
Dou ni kanarusa
Pikapika II (Lyrics + Music: Nagai Masato)
FREAK OUT ~Try me one time, Try me one night~ (Lyrics: Shimizu Akio, ERYKAH Music: Shimizu Akio)
Messenger (Lyrics: ERYKAH Music: Sakai Mikio)
Le Ciel ~Kimi no shiawase inoru kotoba~ (Lyrics: SPIN Music: Akihito). The “X’mas Remix 5 Version” of this song was recorded in KAT-TUN’s single “Bokura no machi de”
Rockin’ (Lyrics: JOKER, SPIN Music: Morimoto Kousuke)
- Hachiji da J (Aug 1998 – Sep 1999; TV Asahi)
- music-enta (Apr 19, 2001 – Mar 14, 2002; TV Asahi)
- Music Champ (Aug 1997 – Mar 2000; NHK BS2)
- Shounen Club (Apr 2000 – present; BS2)
- Pop Jam (Apr 2001, Mar 2002; NHK)
- Hadaka no Shounen (Apr 2001 – Mar 2003; TV Asahi)
- Yoru mo Hippare (2002; Nihon terebi)
- Minna no terebi (Apr 2005 – Sep 2005; NTV)
- KAT-TUNx3 (Jul 30 & Apr 6, 2005; NTV)
- KAT-TUN’s Grand Champions Cup’s supporting project (Oct 1, 2005; NTV)
- Utawara Hot Hit 10 (Oct 2005 – Mar 2006; NTV)
- Utawara (Apr 2006 – Jan 2007; NTV)
- 24 jikan terebi 29 “Ai wa chikyuu wo sukuu” ~kizuna~ (August 26~27, 2006; NTV)
- Koukousei seifuku taikou dance Koushien (Dec 30, 2006; NTV)
- Cartoon KAT-TUN (Apr 4, 2007 – 2010; NTV)
- KAT-TUN no sempai, oshiete kudasai! Otona no okite 100 Andokuriimu (Jan 12, 2008; NTV)
- KAT-TUNsempai, oshiete kudasai! Otona no okite 100 Andokuriimu part 2 (Apr 5, 2009; NTV)
- SMAP×SMAP’10 史上最大4時間半生放送!新春ドリームスペシャル（2010年1月4日、フジテレビ）
- KAT-TUNsempai, oshiete kudasai! Otona no okite 100 Andokuriimu part 2 (Jan 6, 2010; NTV)
- Going! Sports&News (March 27, 2010 - present; NTV) ♪Kame
- KAT-TUN Style Mon-Fri 23:30-23:40 - Host: Taguchi Junnosuke, Tanaka Koki
- From Oct 1, 2007 - Host: Akanishi Jin, Taguchi Junnosuke
- From Mar 31, 2008 - Host: Taguchi Junnosuke, Tanaka Koki (Mon-Thu)
- From Apr 4, 2008 - Host: Kamenashi Kazuya (Fri)
- Kamenashi Kazuya Kase by Kase Fri 22:40-22:55 - Host: Kamenashi Kazuya
- R-One KAT-TUN Wed 24:00-24:30 - Host: Ueda Tatsuya, Nakamaru Yuuichi
- Kowai nichiyobi (Jul 4 – Sep 26, 1999; Nihon terebi)
- Kowai nichiyobi ~new season~ (Oct 3 – Dec 26, 1999; Nihon terebi)
- Nekketsu renai michi (Jan 20 – May 2, 1999; Nihon terebi)
- Kowai nichiyobi ~2000~ (Jul 2 – Nov 26, 2000; Nihon terebi)
- Worst dates (Dec 3, 2000 – Apr 29, 2001; Nihon terebi)
- NTT DoCoMo
FOMA new9 (920iS) “Ikuze ongaku ver.” (June 2006)
NTT DoCoMo (903i) (Nov 26 – Dec 30, 2006; advertised on the trains of Osaka belt line, JR Nishi Nihon)
“Bokutachi no jiyuu ver.” (Apr 2007)
- Sky perfect TV
“Shin makyuu ver.” (Mar 2006)
“Free kick ver.” (May 2006)
“Music Life! ver.” (Apr 2006)
“Sky perfect! Yokubari pack campaign tonakai channel? ver.” (Dec 2006)
Mogitate kajitsu (Jul 2005)
Rohto C cube (Oct 2005)
“CM ga jimi? ver.” (Sep 2002)
“Kuse nanda ver.”
“Kuse nanda ver.II”
“Oishi tabekata ver.”
“World king bar ver.”
- Plus X
“Green apple & Red berry ver.” (Nov 2003)
“Blue citrus ver.” (2004)
“Pink berry ver.” (2005)
“Team Plus X ver.” (Nov 22-27, 2005)
“Gold pine costume ver.” (Feb 2006)
“Gold pine gum 3 box ver.” (Feb 2006)
“Rainbow fruit ver.” (Jul 2006)
“Original bottle campaign ver.” (Jan 2007)
“Magic kiwi ver.” (Jul 2007)
“Power up fruit ver.” (Nov 2007)
- MTI ltd.
Decotomo DX (Dec 2009)
Logtomo (Dec 2010)
Solio (Dec 2010)
- Okyakusama wa kami sama – Concert 55man nin AI no request ni Kotaete!! (Apr 10-28, 2002; 2 cities, 26 performances)
- Kotoshi mo Ah taihen Thank U Natsu (Aug 8-28, 2003; 3 cities, 10 performaces)
- KAT-TUN no daibouken de SHOW (Aug 12-20, 2003; Le Meridien Pacific Tokyo, 20 performances)
- KAT-TUN Live Kaizokuban (Dec 28, 2004 – Jan 10, 2005; 3 cities, 14 performances)
- Spring 05 Looking KAT-TUN (Mar 25-27, 2005, Yokohama Arena, 4 performances)
- Looking 05 KAT-TUN (May 29 – Jun 26, 2005; 5 cities, 14 performances)
- Looking KAT-TUN 2005 (Aug 26-28, 2005; Yokohama Arena, 6 performances)
- KAT-TUN Special TOKYO DOME CONCERT Debut “Real Face” (Mar 17, 2006; Tokyo Dome, 1 performance)
- Spring Tour ’06 Live of KAT-TUN “Real Face” (Mar 28 – May 7, 2006; 8 cities, 40 performances)
- Spring Tour ’06 in TOKYO DOME Live of KAT-TUN “Real Face” (May 13-14, 2006; Tokyo Dome, 2 performances)
- TOUR 2007 Cartoon KAT-TUN II You (Apr 3 – Jun 17, 2007; 7 cities, 28 performances)
- Live Tour KAT-TUN 2008 Queen of Pirates (Jun 21 - Aug 5, 2008; 4 Tokyo Dome performances! 8/2-8/5)
- TATSUYA UEDA LIVE 2008 Mouse Peace (Solo Concert; Sep 8 - 21, 2008, Johnnys Theater)
- (7 Days Battle) Break the Records Tokyo Dome Concert (May 15-22, 29-31, June 14-15, 2009; 10 Tokyo Dome performances! 5/15-5/22, 6/14-6/15; 3 Osaka 5/29-5/31)
- KAT-TUN SUMMER'09 Break the Records Tour (Jul 22-23: Okinawa, Aug 01-02: Miyagi, Aug 08-09: Hiroshima, Aug 12-13: Fukuoka, Aug 15-16: Nigata, Aug 22-23: Hokkaido)
- KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2010 PART1:ARENA TOUR (May 2, 2010 - Jun 27)
- KAT-TUN LIVE TOUR 2010 PART2:WORLD BIG TOUR (Jun 16, 2010 - Aug 28)
- Dream Boy (Jan 8-31, 2004; Empire Theatre)
- “KAT-TUN & Kanjani8 ver.” (Apr 30 – May 7, 2004; Umeda Theatre of Commerce)
- “Hideaki Takizawa ver.” (May 8-21, 2004; Umeda Theatre of Commerce)
- SUMMARY of Johnnys World (Aug 8-29, 2004; Harajuku Shin Vick Top, 35 performances)
- Hey! Say! Dream Boy (Apr 27 – May 15, 2005; Umeda Theatre of Art, 34 performances)
- KAT-TUN vs Kanjani8 Musical Dream Boys (Jan 3-29, 2006; Empire Theatre, 38 performances)
- DREAMBOYS (Sep 5-30, 2007; Empire Theatre, 38 performances)
- DREAMBOYS (Mar 4 - Apr 16, 2008; Empire Theatre - 38 performances; Umeda Theatre of Art - 21 performances)
- Nakamaru ~ Kimi no Tanoshiijikan (Aug 10 - 24, 2008, Globe Theatre)
- Romeo to Juliet (Mar 4 – 29, Tokyo Globe Theatre; Apr 2 – 5, 2009, Tokyo Glove Theatre)
- DREAMBOYS (Tokyo: Sep 4-29, 2009; Empire Theatre, 38 performances; Osaka: Oct 13-25, 2009; Umeda Theatre of Art - 21 performances)
- ハートビート KAT-TUN (2006 - present; POTATO)
- Secret Face (2006 - present; DUET)
- Nakamaru Page (2008 - present; Johnny’s Web)
- KAT-TUN’s MANUAL (2006 - present; Johnny’s Web)
- Ai wa KAT-TUN (2010; The Television)
- ラジオ対談 (2006 - present; Monthly TV navi)
- KAT-TUN缶 (2006 - present; WINK UP)
- KAT-TUNラジオOA中!!! (2006 - present; WINK UP)
- 中丸雄一のアイデアちょうだい (2009 - present; WINK UP)
- Kame Camera (2011 - present, MAQUIA)
- KAT-TUN Photobook “KAT-TUN 1st in New York” (2003)
- KAT-TUN LIVE DOCUMENT PHOTOBOOK "BREAK the RECORDS" (Aug 2009)
TEN-G is a song singing about the story of KAT-TUN’s members turning into Tengu (Japanese long-nosed goblin). It appeared for the first time on the Apr 26, 2005 Yokohama arena concert; and was also performed in KAT-TUN’s debut concert – “KAT-TUN Special TOKYO DOME Concert Debut “Real Face”” on Mar 17, 2006; and on KAT-TUN’s Mar 28 Osaka concert during the “Spring Tour ’06 Live of KAT-TUN “Real Face”".
- Purple Tengu (Kamenashi)
- Pink Tengu (former member: Akanishi)
- Black Tengu (Taguchi)
- Blue Tengu (Tanaka)
- Red Tengu (Ueda)
- Yellow Tengu (Nakamaru)
Credits: jone-records @ livejournal, Wikipedia & DramaWiki
No bashing KAT-TUN or Jin!~ Otherwise Jess will come whack you ♡
Reminder: give reputation points hehe
Edited by goli, 18 Sep 12 - 09:35 PM.