Logo

•  

Advertisement

Welcome to DarkSmurfSub.com

Sign In 

Create Account
Membership is closed for the time being, but we occasionally open it when there is increased interest from volunteer subbers to join, so check back when you are interested in subbing a new drama, if we are accepting new members to the community!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How long for a non-korean to learn korean language

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 skbn

skbn

Village Visitor

• Members
  • 5 posts
    • Time Online: 2h 35m 12s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 06:12 AM
    • Referred By:Undisclosed
    • Star sign:Unknown

Posted 08 Oct 11 - 07:12 AM

Hi Everyone

How close is Korean to Mandarin. I have been planning to learn mandarin but after watching korean dramas and the wonderful korean culture, I am so impressed that would like to spend time in learning korean. Could you please advise the average time it would take for a person who does not know anything about korean to understand korean language.

Regards

SK

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Advertisement

#2 SKMorphine

SKMorphine

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 7 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 2h 47m 45s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 07:12 AM

Posted 08 Oct 11 - 08:27 AM

I´ve studied mandarin for 3 years in school and korean for about a ½ year longer alone on my spare time. And I know much more korean then mandarin now.
    Kinese characters are really complicated and hangul(korean characters) is really simple and logical(if you ask me). I don´t think there´s many things they both have in common. Koreans use the kinese alphabet some times(but I hardly saw any when I was in korea.) and some words sound the same.
    I´m still not completely fluent in korean and I still use subs when I watch dramas etc. but I haven´t had a teacher when studying, I´ve only learned from music and dramas. If you have a teacher or can get your hands on some books(and have easy for learing language) I don´t think it´ll take much more then 3 years untill you´re fluent.
    I hope my answer will help you. I certainly think you should give it a try! ^^
    - SKMorphine

#3 Phansy

Phansy

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 6 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 16h 14m 52s

Posted 08 Oct 11 - 03:13 PM

I think this isn't an easy language.

#4 Sulfur

Sulfur

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 21 posts
      • Time Online: 13h 42m 40s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 08:12 AM

Posted 08 Oct 11 - 10:58 PM

I think every language need a whole lifetime to learn. I saw every people everyday, that doesn't know their native language very well, especially it shows in writting (so many mistakes it hurts). I'm studying Japanese and Korean right now and I think I need 48 hours in a day and at least 1 year in each country and only then I would say, that I know these languages. In any case new languages are worth studying, even if not in perfection - they are still knowledge ^^

#5 tolos

tolos

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 9 posts
      • Time Online: 2h 54m 43s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 01:12 PM

Posted 09 Oct 11 - 03:39 AM

HI,

actually i would like to know about these too, some people said that learning other language when you already old is harder than when you are younger.
    as i'm from Indonesia it should be easier as we have the same asian basic language but its hard no matter i see it.
    i found my self easier to pronounce japanese than korean.
    how do you see it?

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#6 raenai

raenai

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 3 posts
      • Time Online: 5h 32m 8s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 02:12 PM
    • LocationPerth Australia
    • Star sign:Leo

Posted 10 Oct 11 - 04:29 PM

Learning Korean is easy - I learnt the hangul by myself and am now taking Korean classes locally to learn more words and practice grammar. I'm quite alright with writing it out, but I find speaking and listening to a native - esp since they always shorten everything and talk super fast - really difficult to understand haha . I guess in every language u've to constantly practice speaking and listening with a native and/or go to Korea and live there for a year or so to learn culture/speaking etc .~ I wish one day i can! any koreans here that can help me practice my speaking/listening? it'd be a great help!! :D

#7 Tiictoc

Tiictoc

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff

• PipPipPip
    • 141 posts
      • Time Online: 8d 11h 17m 14s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 10:12 AM
    • Star sign:Scorpio

Posted 11 Oct 11 - 05:14 AM

Hello,
    I'd like to add that not all of the people need a lifetime to learn a language, because there are many words that are un usable by the language people, thats why we see some people dont know every and each word from their own language.
    sometimes Korean people use a shorter word than the original word when they speak, specially in dramas. like in sorry > they say it be ya nae, and its written and pronounced me yan hae.
    Anyway I thought sharing something with you is good =) ... It took me one year 2 months and now I'm finishing level 4 entering the final advanced class.
    In addition, I can have long conversations with my teacher. however, there are some vocabularies I don't get them unless I ask my teacher about. But while days are passing, I can learn more and more vocabulary, and my grammar is good and I have everything I need though...

feel free to ask anything...

Posted Image

Posted Image

If we want to strive hard to achieve what we want to be sure it will be reached, but if we do not want to struggle with hard to reach it we would probably fail

- Tiffany Hwang.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#8 Tiictoc

Tiictoc

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff

• PipPipPip
    • 141 posts
      • Time Online: 8d 11h 17m 14s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 10:12 AM
    • Star sign:Scorpio

Posted 11 Oct 11 - 05:17 AM

Sorry I'd like to add ...

- http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/
    This site is very very very very x100 helpful in MANY WAYS!!!
    you wont regret spending 10 hours on it... :)

+

"Byki" also is a program for languages...
    you can check it out for Korean language
    • savelatin, rx765, Miguk and 2 others like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

If we want to strive hard to achieve what we want to be sure it will be reached, but if we do not want to struggle with hard to reach it we would probably fail

- Tiffany Hwang.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#9 yoyo_icecube

yoyo_icecube

Retired Discussions Member

• Members
    • 24 posts
      • Time Online: 22h 28m 30s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 02:12 PM

Posted 11 Oct 11 - 06:33 AM

for korean is easier to pronounce compare to chinese and easier to read. korean you can spell how to read a word but chinese you need to memorize how the character looks like.

but...from what i heard, korean grammar is harder than chinese, chinese had simpler grammar. but still i think im learning korean faster than chinese, after 3 years learning mandarin, i still cant differentiate mai (buy) and mai (sell)...

Kwon✩Jiyong
    BIGBANG 2NE1 KARA IU SUPER JUNIOR DBSK SS501 SHINHWA WONDER GIRLS ✩ NEWS KAT-TUN KIS-MY-FT2

AKB48

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#10 bomafl

bomafl

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 1h 24m 13s

Posted 12 Oct 11 - 12:56 AM

http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/

Thanks for the site, I've been looking for something like this.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#11 LieLo

LieLo

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 20 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 15h 6m 9s
    • Star sign:Taurus

Posted 14 Oct 11 - 04:36 PM

I agree with SKMorphine
    I´ve studied mandarin for 3 years in high school and korean for about a 1 year longer alone on my spare time. And I know much more korean then mandarin now.

#12 sunako02

sunako02

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 8 posts
      • Time Online: 18h 53m 14s
    • Referred By:Other Sites
    • Star sign:Leo

Posted 16 Oct 11 - 01:50 AM

I was told that a language quite easy and bought with Japanese and Mandarin

#13 madridi

madridi

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 11h 38m 31s

Posted 16 Oct 11 - 01:51 AM

i think it's a very difficult language!
    i hope that i could someday watch korean dramas without waiting subtitles!

#14 Blue At

Blue At

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 19h 45m 1s
    • LocationVietnam
    • Referred By:Google Search

Posted 28 Oct 11 - 07:25 AM

I agree with SKMorphine, Chinese characters are really complicated and hangul is really simple and logical.
    But now I learn two, because I like Korean Drama and with two languages, you can watch it by yourselve :)

#15 yoonz14

yoonz14

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 10 posts
      • Time Online: 7h 50m 41s
    • LocationTangerang Indonesia

Posted 30 Oct 11 - 03:30 AM

For me because i learn 6 years chinese and now i'm a chinese teacher so i think chinese is more easier than Korean >_<
    In Chinese it's true that we must remember mostly the character or we call it Hanzi, but i think if you already can chinese, you can read a little korean
    Because (this not just by me, my Korean students said it too) that chinese and korean have a little words that looks a little same when we read it.

So sometimes when i listen or watch korean drama or movie, some of the words is like chinese hehehehe

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#16 silentj

silentj

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 5 posts
      • Time Online: 7m 45s
    • LocationMexico

Posted 30 Oct 11 - 03:50 AM

It all depnds on your enthusiasm, if you are really interested start right now

#17 yoonz14

yoonz14

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 10 posts
      • Time Online: 7h 50m 41s
    • LocationTangerang Indonesia

Posted 30 Oct 11 - 04:50 AM

and if i may add. There's no easy language in this world. Even your native language. You must learn it too right, but why you feel like your native language is more easy? because you learn it from you still a child. A child is more easier to learn new language than a big one...

So it's just need see we want to try harder to learn about it or not hehehhe ^ ^
    • savelatin likes this

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#18 zhili

zhili

SCT Timer

• SCT Timer

• 15 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 9h 40m 14s
  • Local Time: Mar 27 17 10:12 PM

Posted 10 Nov 11 - 06:36 PM

I´ve studied mandarin for 3 years in school and korean for about a ½ year longer alone on my spare time. And I know much more korean then mandarin now.
    Kinese characters are really complicated and hangul(korean characters) is really simple and logical(if you ask me). I don´t think there´s many things they both have in common. Koreans use the kinese alphabet some times(but I hardly saw any when I was in korea.) and some words sound the same.
    I´m still not completely fluent in korean and I still use subs when I watch dramas etc. but I haven´t had a teacher when studying, I´ve only learned from music and dramas. If you have a teacher or can get your hands on some books(and have easy for learing language) I don´t think it´ll take much more then 3 years untill you´re fluent.
    I hope my answer will help you. I certainly think you should give it a try! ^^
    - SKMorphine

hmm about not finding chinese characters in korea its because not a lot of people use it ,it's mostly elderly people that were born at the time when korea was still using chinese characters :) that uses it (my grandpa still uses chinese characters when he writes letters xD)

@ the OP umm it depends on where u go to learn and how much are u committed to learning korean :) because for me I'm korean/chinese but since my mom never taught me korean nor chinese when i was little, I am learning it on my own now through korean school and chinese classes, however its best in my opinion to learn a language by going there, since ur exposed to it more. For example, when i was little i went to korea to visit relatives for the first time and since then i was able to understand and read and write korean but sadly since i went there when i was little, i couldn't grasp the speaking part fully lol , but i do know a lot of phrases.

I hope that helps a bit^^

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#19 savelatin

savelatin

Village Visitor

• CTS Casual

• 17 posts
      • Time Online: 21h 26m 14s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 01:12 AM
    • LocationU.S.

Posted 29 Dec 11 - 06:08 AM

How long it will take depends on a bunch of things. Like whether you want to be able to get by in Korean, or to be fully fluent, how motivated you are and how much time you devote to learning and whether you spend time in Korea or with native Korean-speakers. The same goes for learning almost any language. For me it's taken about a year to be at the "intermediate" level--very conversant in speaking and reading Korean--studying mostly on my own and being busy with work too. It helps that I've got a couple Korean friends that are super helpful.
    • Anik Aini likes this

#20 jiriboy

jiriboy

CTS English Casual

• CTS Casual
    • Others:
      Donators

• 10 posts
      • Time Online: 2d 20h 37m 20s
  • Local Time: Mar 28 17 03:12 PM
    • Referred By:Other

Posted 24 Jan 12 - 08:37 AM

As has been said it depends on the time you can spend learning. The most important thing is to use what you learn as often as possible. i.e practice. Also I suggest rather than learn words and phrases by rote focus on somethiing you are interested in and learn how to speak about that subject, for instance football. It will help to pick up words and phrases for other things and at least it's something you can talk about with friends who like the same things. For me teaching English I find it useful/necessary to use Korean so I learned Classroom talk. But I think Korean is still a difficult language to master.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!