Logo

•  

Advertisement

Welcome to DarkSmurfSub.com

Sign In 

Create Account
Membership is closed for the time being, but we occasionally open it when there is increased interest from volunteer subbers to join, so check back when you are interested in subbing a new drama, if we are accepting new members to the community!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

best dictionary ever ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 craiel

craiel

Village Visitor

• Members
  • 4 posts
    • Time Online: 44m 43s
  • Local Time: Feb 22 17 08:49 PM
    • Referred By:Undisclosed
    • Star sign:Unknown

Posted 29 Dec 11 - 04:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to learn korean and I need a good dictionary (paper not online). I already searched for french-korean dictionaries, but I'm not satisfied with what I found. I could use an english-korean dictionary but I need your help : which one do you think is best ? Which one are you using ?

:panda_suspicious:

Thanks a lot,

Claire

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Advertisement

#2 savelatin

savelatin

Village Visitor

• CTS Casual

• 17 posts
      • Time Online: 21h 26m 14s
  • Local Time: Feb 22 17 02:49 PM
    • LocationU.S.
    • Referred By:Other Sites
    • Star sign:Taurus

Posted 02 Jan 12 - 06:41 AM

I've had a hard time finding a good Korean-English dictionary. A lot of the ones I've been finding use romanization way too much. I find it most useful to have things mostly in Hangeul and not use romanizations too much. I've used the "Periplus Pocket Korean Dictionary", but it's very limited. This dictionary Hippocrene Standard Dictionary: Korean-english / English-korean looks pretty useful.

#3 craiel

craiel

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 4 posts
      • Time Online: 44m 43s
  • Local Time: Feb 22 17 08:49 PM
    • Referred By:Undisclosed
    • Star sign:Unknown

Posted 02 Jan 12 - 02:34 PM

thanks, I'll try to find that one. I already have one but it only translates french to korean and not the other way round, so thanks again.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#4 Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

先生

• Members
    • Others:
      CTS Casual
    • PipPipPip
    • 216 posts
      • Time Online: 6d 4h 4m 43s
  • Local Time: Feb 23 17 04:49 AM
    • Referred By:Other Sites
    • Star sign:Libra

Posted 09 Jan 12 - 05:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to learn korean and I need a good dictionary (paper not online). I already searched for french-korean dictionaries, but I'm not satisfied with what I found. I could use an english-korean dictionary but I need your help : which one do you think is best ? Which one are you using ?

:panda_suspicious:

Thanks a lot,

Claire

Even though you're writing that you want a good dictionary that's not online but in paper I'd actually recommend you to by an electronic dictionary instead of a standard paper one as it got several advantages. Some of these Advantages is the sheer size of the dictionary, contents, available languages, being able to search by entering hanja (hand writing using a stylo), Hangul, romanized wiritng or in another language, you can add language packs with a lot of other stuff as well as there are cultural references, stories in Korean with a lot of other features.

When it comes to myself I'm not using a Korean dictionary at all as I've not have the need for it, but when the time comes I'd definitely use an electronic dictionary as it has been to a lot of help for me when it comes to Japanese. When it comes to what electronic dictionary to choose it'd be best to search for one that suits your needs, I'm quite fond od the Casio models, though my Korean friends are using Sharp models if I'm not wrong.

I hope that this will be to some help,

Yggdrasil

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about."
    -Benjamin Lee Whorf

"You can never understand one language until you understand at least two"
    -Geoffrey Willans

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users