Logo

•  

Advertisement

Welcome to DarkSmurfSub.com

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DarkSmurfSub.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
DarkSmurfSub is a private subtitle translation site and not a streaming site, so any video-watching is only for those who help out. As our member, you can watch the videos online with our subs while you help translate/edit the subs in multi-languages.

New Members registration is currently open for new drama projects.

Be a part of DarkSmurfSub.com by signing in or creating an account.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adjust Timing & Download Guide

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamiepeach

jamiepeach

Uploader Team Leader

• Retired Staff
  • Others:
    CTS Elite
    CTS Translator (C)
    SCT Timer
    SCT Uploader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
    • Time Online: 118d 18h 40m 12s
  • Local Time: Jan 21 17 10:42 AM
    • Referred By:Undisclosed
    • Star sign:Unknown

Posted 07 Feb 12 - 08:03 PM

This is a guide on how to use the Adjust Timing & Download feature on the download page.

This download feature makes it easier to adjust the subtitles to suit different video sources. If you are unable to find the video that is listed or you prefer to use a different video, you can try to sync the subtitles yourself using Adjust Timing & Download instead of the regular download. This feature is located on the download page, just below the regular download button.

--

Basics:

Method 1
    1. Determine the starting time of the first line in the video.
    2. Enter the starting time. (hours : minutes : seconds , milliseconds)
    3. Select Adjust Time: Sync to 1st Start time and adjust accordingly (Selected by default) from the purple dropmenu
    4. Click Adjust Timing & Download.

Method 2
    1. Determine the time delay between the video and the subs.
    2. Enter the time delay. (hours : minutes : seconds , milliseconds)
    3. Select Adjust Time: (+) Forward by (for subtitles appearing too early)
    or Adjust Time: (-) Backward by (for subtitles appearing too late) from the purple dropmenu
    4. Click Adjust Timing & Download.

--

Example in Detail:

Step 1 You will need to determine the timing for the first line. In order to do so, check the first line of the subtitle (either through the web editor, or open the srt file in a text editor such as Notepad.) Usually the first line is speech, but sometimes it may be a caption indicating the episode number. After determining what the first line is, open the video in your video player, and determine the timing of this line. The more accurate you are in this step, the better the outcome. You may need to attempt this process multiple times to perfect the timing. Many video players have controls to make small adjustments to the subtitle timing, so if the subtitle is only slightly out of sync, you can use those controls to touch up the timing afterwards. You can find the controls for some popular video players in this post. If your video player doesn't have this feature you might want to consider trying one that does. I would recommend GOM Player or Daum Pot Player.

Step 2 You should only need to adjust the seconds, and milliseconds, and perhaps the minutes on the odd occasion. For example, if I determine that the first line starts at 13.65 seconds into the video, I would enter that number as shown in the image below.

image-9D16_518937C8.jpg

Step 3, 4 The adjustment method should be set as Adjust Time: Sync to 1st Start time and adjust accordingly by default, so just click the Adjust Timing & Download button and presto!

Note: Some dramas have commercials in the middle. Sometimes the subtitles will sync to versions with commercials and sometimes they will sync to versions where the commercials have been removed. This method will not work if the video you're trying to sync to does not correspond with the subtitles. For such situations, you may need to use a subtitle editor such as Jubler or Aegisub. Some videos also playback at a different speed. This method will not work either if the speed is different.
    • zary.azr, lothlorien, minevans and 3 others like this
    Follow DSS on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Advertisement

#2 lothlorien

lothlorien

Village Visitor

• Donators

• 9 posts
      • Time Online: 5d 9h 12m 45s
  • Local Time: Jan 21 17 02:42 AM
    • Referred By:Other Sites

Posted 08 Feb 12 - 01:49 AM

Thank you so much! I usually DL 1080p dramas if they are available and there are times that the timing of the subs are off. This helps a lot.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#3 kris606

kris606

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 1 posts
      • Time Online: 1d 3h 22m 8s
  • Local Time: Jan 21 17 06:42 PM

Posted 09 Apr 12 - 01:39 PM

thanks for this subtitle..looking forward to watch this movie... :panda_victorywave:

#4 qqiekudo

qqiekudo

Village Visitor

• Members
    • 2 posts
      • Time Online: 46m 14s
  • Local Time: Jan 21 17 05:42 PM
    • Referred By:Google Search

Posted 04 Jan 13 - 07:42 AM

actually what 450p meaning? I still dont know about it, because when I ripped my DVD and I play with SRT I got from darksmurf the time is not match. please help me>thanks

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#5 jamiepeach

jamiepeach

Uploader Team Leader

• Retired Staff
    • Others:
      CTS Elite
      CTS Translator (C)
      SCT Timer
      SCT Uploader

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • 551 posts
      • Time Online: 118d 18h 40m 12s
  • Local Time: Jan 21 17 10:42 AM

Posted 04 Jan 13 - 06:26 PM

actually what 450p meaning? I still dont know about it, because when I ripped my DVD and I play with SRT I got from darksmurf the time is not match. please help me>thanks

450p indicates the size of the video (450 lines, progressive) that the subs have been synced to. The size of the video can be ignored in most cases. It just means that the subs may not sync if you're not using the same video that is used here.

As you ripped the video yourself, you will probably have to follow the instructions (Method 1) in the first post to adjust the timing of the subs to fit your video.
    • Narcissus likes this
    Follow DSS on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#6 ShadowSKAR

ShadowSKAR

Village Visitor

• CTS Translator (C)

• 4 posts
      • Time Online: 2d 1h 31m 44s
    • LocationUS

Posted 23 May 14 - 05:52 AM

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask, but I can't seem to find anywhere else so here goes.

So I have a video source and subs that are synced to a different source. No big deal, I've retimed things before. I check a few spots towards the beginning, match up the audio with the subs and settle in to start watching. It seems fine, but I noticed as the episode continued, the subs got more and more out of sync. By the end, the subs were several lines behind. As far as I could tell, it doesn't seem like one was synced to a video with ads, and one video doesn't have ads (and ads aren't a few seconds long anyway, right?). So I checked the framerate, and saw that the subs were at ~23 and the video at ~29. I changed the subs to match only to realize it made the problem even worse. By the end, the subs were minutes off.

So what else could cause subs to gradually go out of sync?

#7  DarkSmurf

DarkSmurf

Administrator

•  Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,102 posts
      • Time Online: 585d 19h 42m 57s
  • Local Time: Jan 21 17 06:42 PM

Posted 23 May 14 - 09:14 AM

That happens if you get a video encoding that uses variable bit rate if I am not wrong. Try to find another video source instead. Coz, it will be hard to sync a fixed bit rate to variable bit rate. The better sources generally are WITH, BarosG, LIMO at the moment. In most cases, they will just about a few seconds of initial sub adjustsment ie +/- 500 / 1000 ms.

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

#8 ShadowSKAR

ShadowSKAR

Village Visitor

• CTS Translator (C)

• 4 posts
      • Time Online: 2d 1h 31m 44s
    • LocationUS

Posted 23 May 14 - 04:07 PM

That happens if you get a video encoding that uses variable bit rate if I am not wrong. Try to find another video source instead. Coz, it will be hard to sync a fixed bit rate to variable bit rate. The better sources generally are WITH, BarosG, LIMO at the moment. In most cases, they will just about a few seconds of initial sub adjustsment ie +/- 500 / 1000 ms.

Thanks for the help and recommendations on video sources!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!