Logo

•  

Welcome to DarkSmurfSub.com

Sign In 

Create Account
Membership is closed for the time being, but we occasionally open it when there is increased interest from volunteer subbers to join, so check back when you are interested in subbing a new drama, if we are accepting new members to the community!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Faith (2012) Episode 9 recap

Choi Young is free and back in the favor of the king, but the king remains weak against his enemy. Eun Soo is a hostage, but she knows that she is valuable to her captor. Slowly, she starts to learn to negotiate her freedom, until she learns something shocking about her predecessor…
The king and queen stand before the court in Goryeo royal garb. Wudalchi comes forth, led by Choi Young, all of them armored and ready, and they kneel at King Gongmin’s feet. One of the councilors bursts out indignantly that Choi Young can’t be trusted! He plotted treason with the boy king! And then killed him! Umm, those sound a little counter-intuitive to me.

King Gongmin asks which one of those is true, adding that Choi acting on his orders: “So are you saying I plotted treason against myself?” He announces that he will promote Choi Young’s rank, and issues a decree that Wudalchi is now answerable only to the king and will act as they please.

Posted Image

Gi Cheol gets the details from the queen’s traitorous guard girl – that in the span of one night, the king met with Choi and planned all this. Still, he realizes the king has Choi and nobody else; all the ministers answer to Gi Cheol himself.
This is the issue facing the king just now. Choi joins him in council along with Lady Choi, and they discuss how to cement King Gongmin’s power in Goryeo. First they need to sweep out all the crooked people in the palace. We see Jo In Shil making backdoor deals, although the king remarks that he served him for 10 years in Yuan.

Posted Image
Posted Image

They need good people, and to get them they need military strength, and to hire that they need money. Money that’s mostly in the hands of Gi Cheol. Choi Young adds that within the palace Lady Choi is in charge, and outside…a group called Suribang. Gongmin adds that he wishes to retake the Heavenly Doctor first, so that he’s able to face his queen.

Posted Image

Outside, Lady Choi delivers a good wallop to her nephew’s head, berating him for getting ideas about the Heavenly Doctor. Choi looks up: “Why can’t I?” She explains that it’s because Gi Cheol wants her; and anything he can’t have, he destroys. Choi looks down and admits that ‘it’s not like that’, which his aunt takes with relief, but also remembers “that warrior girl who had you sleeping for 7 years.” She gives him an engraved wooden seal that will get him in with Suribang.

Posted Image

Eun Soo paces in Gi Cheol’s gardens, wondering over Choi Young. She remembers earlier, when Cheon Eum Ja had demonstrated to her his flute powers, now that he’s learned to direct them forward. He asks what she wishes done to Choi – save him or kill him – adding that Gi Cheol will do the opposite.

This had her storming into Gi Cheol’s office indignantly, ranting on about plain language. (She props a leg on the desk to look more thug-like, falls off, and gets helped back on by Gi Cheol. God, I love their interactions.)

Posted Image
Posted Image

He explains that Choi Young is inconsequent if he has her heart. She snaps back: “That man kidnapped me. Whether I save him or kill him, that’s in my hands. That is a threat.” She stalks off, taking the white dress Gi Cheol made for her on the way.

Now, Gi Cheol finds her wearing the white dress, pensively fingering some yellow flowers. She demands to know if she’s captive here, which he acknowledges, and then he proposes a deal. He takes her into the office and lays down a map in front of her, and then asks to know the future. What will happen to Goryeo? To Yuan? Whose side must he take, which people should he back, so that he can build a great new world?

Eun Soo hedges, uncertain about her history, but does say that meddling will create huge changes. He asks what will happen to Goryeo and she replies that it becomes smaller and splits. So he points to Yuan and asks what will happen there; and promises to her that if she helps him, he will rule all, and that she will sit next to him in power. Lord, that’s a convincing speech.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Choi Young arrives at the estate, ignores Hwasooin, and demands at Eum Ja to get “the thing he lost”. Gi Cheol comes up, Eun Soo following, and Choi…asks for his sword. Haha. Eun Soo wants to talk to him, but he replies that she’s one of Gi Cheol’s people now, or so the king believes. She sighs, and explains that she’s a captive, but if she told him so, he’d fight again. “I’m fine here.” She catches his sleeve, saying that she has leverage over Gi Cheol, but so long as Choi is alive, she’d be fine. He catches her arm with a strange instruction – can she lie? Because she may have to.

Posted Image

Choi leaves with his sword and Dae Man, wondering when he “forgot that face.” Hmmm, so his feelings for the warrior girl are fading? He heads out to find Suribang, fighting his way nonchalantly into a building like he’s done it before, shoving aside a very feminine looking man who swoons over him.

The important people are a jovial pair, a middle-aged ajusshi and ajumma, and he requests their help.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Eun Soo has had it, and tries to fight her way past the guards, swinging her handbag and screaming, “Aren’t you afraid of heaven?” Gi Cheol finds her there and grabs her away with a warning, but she flashes back that she’s the one who knows the history; “Aren’t you afraid I’ll lie to you?” Aha, she’s getting some brains here. Gi Cheol has to accept, but growls that he’s at the end of his patience.

Posted Image

He returns to find Lady Choi with a special request – the queen’s neck wound has been infected, and they need the Heavenly Doctor. In fact, the queen also has words for Gi Cheol, so he is to come as well.

This seems true, as the mole reports back to Gi Cheol. The queen is in fact languishing in bed when the king comes to visit. He sends everyone out…and she rises, looking perfectly fine. He apologizes for putting her through this, but replies that she has always wanted to do something, to contribute something. He asks if it was because he was lacking, but she returns that those are the words she hates to hear.

Posted Image

Gi Cheol and entourage enter the palace, where only he and Eun Soo are allowed to attend the queen. They follow Lady Choi…to the council chamber. Gi Cheol starts, but Wudalchi surround the room as the king and Choi Young step in.

The king raises his voice, announcing that he will begin interrogation…and charges Eun Soo with kidnapping the ex-king. She gapes. Ha! Smart – take her as a political move if you can’t get her by force.

Choi adds that it was the magistrate who plotted treason, and said magistrate is not dragged in. Gi Cheol quickly denies knowing him, jumping ship in an instant. Choi asks Eun Soo to confirm who instigated her in the kidnapping; she bursts out indignantly before she catches his slight shake of the head. She catches on, and points at the magistrate. Fate sealed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gi Cheol starts to intervene, noting that Choi took her away, but Choi replies – how would he alone have fought his way out of Gi Cheol’s estate? He only left because was allowed to visit the ex-king. Gi Cheol quietens down.

Gongmin strips the magistrate of title and estates and indicts him for treason, announcing that all his estates will be handed over to the crown. He flips through the record, noting that quite a lot of the revenue goes towards the Gi family, but Gi Cheol has to deny it now. Ha, here comes Gongmin’s money.

Posted Image

Eun Soo is also dragged away for “her part in the crimes”, and she freaks out all the way (afraid for her life) till she gets to the queen’s rooms, where Lady Choi informs her that her ‘punishment’ will be to serve the queen as healer. So, not so much a punishment then.

Choi comes to see Eun Soo, but she’s in a raging mood. She whirls around on him and lists off all the things he did to her, and shouts, almost crying, “And now! Can I lie? I’m a traitor? I’m to be punished?” She kicks him in the shin and tells him not to touch her again.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Choi flashbacks to all their encounters, till he spots Eun Soo falling into Jang Bin’s arms in tears. She sobs, “This world is horrible! I miss my mother, I miss my father…I can’t do this.” He spots Choi in surprise, but doesn’t let on.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Later, he gives her a calming tea, and she asks insistently if there was anything she could have done for the boy king; he confirms that the poison was too strong. Oh, so this is her old hang-up about killing patients; this is the first time her patient has died.

Jang Bin explains what she saw as Choi Young killing the boy – he also killed his hope, his only wish, to leave the palace and live freely.

Gi Cheol’s party stews about losing the revenue from the magistrate’s estate, but Gi Cheol has other problems. His right hand seizes up, and he mutters that he has still much left to do. So he goes straight to the palace to show Eun Soo something. (Doek tries to stop him, but he brushes past her.)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Eun Soo meets him alone in a room, and he lays one more relic of Hwata’s in front of her. She opens it to find…a purple leather journal, with the English words “DIARY” on the front. What? She asks if Hwata really was ancient, and he replies that he lived a thousand years ago.

Slowly, Eun Soo opens the notebook to see penciled notes, Western numerals and letters…and on the last page, in Hangul, the name “Eun Soo.”

Posted Image
Posted Image
  • nonski likes this

1 Comments

Photo
 nonski
Nov 04 12 01:26 PM
image credit to dss gfx team admin nonski

Posted Image

Search Articles

Recent Comments

Change Theme!